Maximizing the Use of Chromebooks with Essential Apps for Students
Chromebooks are rapidly gaining traction among students due to their budget-friendly nature, user-friendliness, and versatility. Ideal for online education, homework or leisure, a Chromebook can cater to all these needs. However, to fully harness its power, you need to equip your device with certain apps to boost your productivity, ingenuity, and overall learning journey. We will discuss 10 must-have Chromebook apps tailored for students in this write-up. These apps are designed to assist you in different academic areas, from mathematics and coding to reading, writing, time management, and more.
Essential Chromebook Applications for Students
There’s no question that Chromebooks are superb tools for students. They offer numerous advantages and functionalities that can simplify and add entertainment to your academic life. But to maximize your Chromebook use, certain apps should be installed. These apps have been carefully selected to aid in various aspects of learning. Here are 10 essential Chromebook applications that every student needs.
ThinkCERCA is a unique online platform designed to help students enhance their critical thinking and communication skills with personalised reading and argumentative writing lessons. This platform works well on Chromebooks and you can install the app from the Chrome Web Store.
- It provides a curriculum that aids students in developing their writing skills within multiple subjects, adhering to the principles of the CERCA framework.
- It offers resources for struggling readers based on the science of reading, utilizable for the instructional needs at different levels.
- It provides a service that administers and scores writing evaluations, offering useful feedback and data reports that can help students monitor their progress.
- It includes a training service for teachers and leaders on how to use ThinkCERCA effectively.
Desmos is a gratifying and interactive platform providing students with the opportunity to explore math in a new light. You can use Desmos to create and share graphs, calculators, and more.
- Desmos Classroom is an interactive platform offering creative math lessons for students and educators.
- Desmos Graphing Calculator is a simple, yet powerful tool that can plot functions, develop tables, animate graphs, and uncover math concepts.
- Desmos Geometry Tool is designed for producing and manipulating shapes, angles, transformations, and constructions.
- Desmos Test Mode is a reliable feature that enables the use of Desmos calculators on standardized tests such as the SAT, ACT, and AP exams.
3. Cite This For Me
Cite This For Me is a user-friendly website designed to assist you in creating citations and bibliographies for your academic work.
- Supports an extensive range of over 7,000 citation styles including APA, MLA, Chicago, Vancouver, and more.
- Allows the creation of bibliographies that exportable to Word or other preferred formats.
- Provides plagiarism checks and feedback to enhance the quality of writings.
- Conveniently cite web pages with a single click with the Chrome extension.
Canva is a web-based graphic design software that simplifies creating stunning visual arts for any application.
- Facilitates mutually beneficial collaborations with team members, letting you share and publish your designs online or print.
- Lets you create standout visuals from thousands of templates, fonts, and images, or build your own from the group up.
- Equipped with powerful filters and effects to transform your photos.
Zorbi is a flashcard app that uses spaced repetition to predict when information will be forgotten, hence making your studies easier and less strenuous.
- Allows the creation of flashcards from any website or PDF with a few simple clicks.
- Reminds you when it’s time to review the cards you want to remember using a smart algorithm that schedules your reviews based on your performance.
- Offers a gallery of high-quality, curated flashcard decks that cover various topics so you can learn from authors, podcasters, and other Zorbi users.
Tynker makes learning to code a fun process with interactive games and projects.
- Teaches students coding concepts and allows them to create their own apps, games, animations, and more with Tynker’s visual programming language.
- Offers an offline mode which enables coding at any time and from anywhere.
Tinkercad is a free app that lets you create 3D models, electronics, and code projects, perfect for Chromebooks.
- Allows the design of objects ranging from simple toys to complex robots, while also enabling sharing with others.
- Compatible with Fusion 360, allowing you to export your Tinkercad models to a more sophisticated 3D design and engineering software.
Newsela provides engaging and informative content for education, offering articles, clips, and various multimedia resources.
- The materials are aligned with national and state standards, like Common Core, NGSS, and C3, offering five reading levels for each article, allowing customization according to the student’s abilities.
- Newsela also offers a mobile app which provides offline reading of articles and assessment completion.
IXL provides comprehensive coverage for math, language arts, science, social studies, and Spanish for all different levels.
- Offers a fun, immersive experience making education feel like an engaging game.